Monday, May 15, 2006

Where Musical Excellence Precedes to Another Level

Saints Ascencio! was on last Friday and it was really special for me because I've finally heard the band play. I know, I know, it's embarrassing to say that I have never attended any SA Band concert but during my secondary school days, all I knew was TK Band and Outdoor Display Band Competitions cos no one bothered to introduce concert bands to us. So I assume all is forgiven, yes?

Back to SAJC. I found the airplane concept rather unique; I mean how many schools make you try to believe that the concert venue is a freakin' aeroplane? The music was good (to me) and I thoroughly enjoyed most of the pieces, though one or two of them did not move me as much as I thought they would. When I attended band concerts in the past, there were times when I felt like sleeping but this time it was different. I think that knowing most of the performers helped keep me awake and the batch mates were great company. Gimmicks were just alright though.

I feel so proud of my dear clarinet section cos they FINALLY have the numbers to be heard loud and clear, for most parts. Well done!

*****

I think now is the appropriate time to share with the world my time with SAJC Band. I learnt much during those 2 short but eventful years and I don't regret it one bit. Of course there were bad times, but since it's all over now, I choose to dwell on the good.

One of the biggest lessons I gained from my time as a band member was to fight for what you believe in. And boy, did the band fight! From overnighting in school to how things should be run. I never had the courage to go against authority before except for those few impulsive moments and I got scolded for doing so. Hence cowardice soon conquered me and I just went along with whatever the higher-ups told me to do. But after seeing how badly people fought for what they wanted and never backing down, I desire to be like that. Someday, I will be.

I also believe band is the ultimate form of teamwork. Everyone plays a part to contribute to a greater goal and I quickly grasped the fact that every single person had to get their parts right. However, melding them together to make music was another thing altogether. Cooperation was key and I have to say, we did it rather well. Oh, we had our problems but when it came down to the wire, we always managed to pull ourselves together and do a great job. Just remember 050505 whenever you're in doubt of accomplishing something.

The people in band are also some of the most hardworking, passionate and determined people I have ever met. That does NOT mean that BandGeeks are well, geeks; on the contrary in fact. We knew how to have fun but we also knew when to get down to work. Almost every single day you'd see people practising till late in the evening and often we'd have morning-to-evening band pracs that were exhausting. That covers the hardworking and passionate part. Determination came in the form of people transferring to other sections and learning to play other instruments well. Kudos to Andre, Addison, Yaofeng, Jeslyn and Kumar for doing a good job. (Er if I missed anyone, I'm sorry! I'm very tired now.) Because of them, I have learnt not to shy away in the face of difficulty.

As for my experiences, I enjoyed every single one of them. On second thoughts, I hated the scoldings but I guess they were necessary cos our band was in major trouble at the time. But, as I said earlier, I prefer to reminisce about happier times, like the oh-so-awesome musical and SYF. I'd like to believe we blew everyone away during our performances and made even non-band people appreciate music more.

I know I sure do after my two years.

Up and On!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home