Thursday, February 05, 2009

live every second like it was my last one

Today was just one of those days where I actually enjoyed my lessons.

My first knowledge-drilling session was learning about substance and behavioural addictions. The lecturer was entertaining and intelligent as well as humorous and full of funny anecdotes about his patients. We learnt how to "chase the dragon" as they say in druggie-speak, why people drink up to 11 (!) bottles of cough syrup and even why some are addicted to sex.

Had a 3 hour break which was somewhat unproductive then attended my skills lesson where I gave my muscles a good stretch.

Well, we were actually supposed to be learning how to teach patients to destress by using breathing techniques, passive-aggressive relaxation and stretching. It was quite fun and I heard some people even fell asleep. Unfortunately, I didn't.

My teacher also related to us a rather creative way to commit suicide. Apparently a nurse in her home country injected potassium chloride into her vein. One heart attack later, she was dead.

Amazing what kids learn in school nowadays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home