Saturday, December 24, 2005

Saints Alumni - the beautiful disaster

I went for alumni band prac today. I was really intimidated at first and hesitant about going but I like playing. Solution: drag Jasmine along to keep me company. I love you! The poor girl just came back from Thailand 2 hours before prac started. Thought we were supposed to reach by 6 though I knew practice only starts at 7. I was fretting in the cab cos at 6.15pm we were still on our way there. Lo and behold, what do we see when we come up to the band room? Like 10 pairs of shoes! I thought we were going to be freaking late. When we didn't hear anything coming up the stairs we thought everyone was already in the band room. But that, people, was not the case cos nearly everyone else came later than us. We saw Meisi! It was so great to see a familiar face. Good thing we found her cos Jas and I would have been totally lost if not for her help. Played Welcome, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, A Holiday Party (or was it A Holiday Celebration?), Folkdance for Band and one other piece I think. Can't remember the title. I don't want to go into the morbid details of practice but in short, I was terrible. I couldn't even reach the high notes properly and my tone sucked big time. New Year Resolution #2: Always play with not-so-old reeds. Plus I was sightreading the pieces and my rhythm was totally off, both of which are the icing on a crappy cake. Argh. New Year Resolution #3: Aim to improve at least a little bit. MUST PRACTISE.

I still gotta study for my driving tests. I intended to concentrate fully on driving so I didn't have to take so many lessons and waste more money but that was before I knew about alumni. Oh next alumni prac is in the afternoon!! And my trial test is on the same day. Guess I have to postpone the test since there are only 2 more pracs to go before alumni performs on 7th Jan. Band will have to come first.

This is such a whiny entry. Just frustrated for not playing better I guess. Hopefully I improve before long. But all is not lost. Despite all my whining I did enjoy practice cos it's more relaxed and fun. Now I know why people always use the word 'fun' to describe alumni. Cos it is.

Though I do wonder if this time I'm in over my head. I don't know if I can do this all over again, the practising, the frustration, the rollercoaster ride of emotions and everything else that comes with it. It's a package deal you see.

Rochelle if you read this come next week!

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held on to
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
And I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home