Wednesday, August 19, 2009

close my eyes and leap

Edit: I was so engrossed in describing what I went through and what the job's all about, that I actually didn't say what I'm going to be working as! So anyway, I'm a nurse at the Endoscopy Clinic in NUH. I realised that it slipped my mind to ask if I was working on public holidays and I've already signed on the dotted line. I kinda just assumed that since I don't work on Sundays, public holidays were free too but in the health care industry, seriously you just never know.

After about a week of properly job-hunting, I managed to land one. It's really all thanks to Huishan and her sister-in-law so even though she doesn't read this, I still feel the need to show my appreciation so THANKS!

I was lost, aimless, clicking on ad after ad trying to find something that would suit my nature. Regular hours, something not too taxing and matched my qualifications; I wasn't that fussy, in my opinion. Sent out a few applications but got no call backs but it had only been a week anyway. Most companies need about 2 weeks probably, I rationalised.

Then Huishan referred me to her da sao who works for a recruitment company dealing with the NHG cluster. Within hours, an interview date was settled upon and after the meet-up, I was offered the job three hours later. All this before noon. I would be a fool not to take it so I accepted the same day.

The hours are rather long (nine, to be exact) and the job sounded tougher than expected but I guess the pay is commensurate with the job scope. Though if I were to minus the housing allowance (one perk of being an alien), my salary dwindles significantly. This will most likely happen if and when I get PR status here. I have to be on on-call duty as well when I start a second year in the clinic, something which scares me to no end but I'll convince myself to worry about that when the time comes. I suppose, like so many others, it's the fear of the unknown that will keep me awake.

But it's time to focus on the here and now.

I keep telling myself that if so many other people can do it, so can I. However, telling yourself is one thing, believing it is quite another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home